19th & Douglas Streets | Built in 1923 for Bankers Reserve Life, a duplicate structure doubled the building's size in 1934 as it became regional headquarters for the Farm Credit Association. It has been converted to apartments called The Bank.
View from the Back
Postcard backs also contribute details to this history lesson: postage was just one cent for decades (two cents if sent overseas); postmarks reveal exact date messages were sent; and detail-lacking addresses without today's zip codes suggest sorting and delivery were certainly more slow.
The Durham Museum
801 S. 10th St. | Opened as Union Station in 1931, this striking art deco-style building and its expansive main waiting room welcomed thousands traveling by train until it closed in 1971. It later became the Western Heritage Museum and, after extensive renovations in 1997, was renamed The Durham Museum. Permanent exhibits featuring Omaha's history are displayed as well as traveling exhibitions from renowned institutions such as the Smithsonian.